As widely anticipated, Sony has today launched the new Xperia Z Ultra, describing it as the world’s slimmest and largest full HD smartphone display. It has a 6.4″ touchscreen display which has been optimised to experience at least 60% more of the screen than most other smartphones. It also includes X-Reality™ for mobile – Sony’s intelligent super resolution display technology which analyses each image and reproduces missing pixels to enhance quality for the sharpest videos.
Sony make much of the fact that this is the only full HD smartphone which is not only dust resistant (IP55/IP58) but also waterproof, allowing you to film in full HD underwater.
Unlike many other smartphones Sony are targeting the business market with Xperia Z Ultra, with a super responsive screen and handwriting recognition that can be used with any pencil and selected stylus or pen (a capacitive stylus or metal pen with tip diameter over 1mm). Having an easy toggle keyboard is aimed at helping with multi tasking or one-handed use.
The handset weighs just 212 grams, and will be available in a choice of black, white or purple. It is expected to launch from Q3 2013 (although exact launch dates will vary depending on the market).
Other features include:
• Sony’s TRILUMINOS® Display
• A 6.5mm body
• The 8 megapixel camera features “Exmor RS for mobile”, HDR for both photos and film, and Superior Auto mode which automatically activates HDR and noise reduction when needed
• Sony have indicated that Xperia Z Ultra will include a free entertainment content offer, including a free trial of the Music Unlimited service (subject to availability).
• The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with HD voice, 2.2 GHz quad-core CPUs and 4G LTE
• Battery STAMINA Mode which improves the standby time by four times as it recognises when you’re not using your display and automatically turns off the functions you don’t need, while keeping the notifications you want.